CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 12, 2009

birdie





I have always disliked nicknames. I have said many times that my children will never have a nickname. I have also said that in the event that my child got a nickname from someone, I would never call them by that nickname.

Well, Taj gave Kaci a nickname when she was little and it stuck. Birdie. Guess who calls her that more than her daddy? That's right!

Here's a little history of the nickname. It started before she was born. I fell in love with Wren as her middle name. Taj didn't like it and would mention things such as, "You actually want to name your child after a bird?" Thus the nickname had its beginnings. As an infant, Kaci was extremely tiny. Her legs were so little, they looked just like bird legs! Poor baby looked like she was ill! She was in the 3 percentile in length and weight and when she was around 9 months, she began to drop lower. Her Dr. was concerned and we had to go through blood testing as well as label her with "failure to thrive". Thankfully, nothing came of it and she was fine, just tiny. During that time Taj starting calling her "Birdie", "K-Birdie", and "Birdie-K's". I hated it a first but it soon grew on me and to my own horror, I found myself calling her by those same names!

I now make every effort to call her Kaci but if you pay close attention, at times you will still hear me calling "Birdie"!

We love her!
Tonya

2 comments:

Brian and Cara said...

Claire points to herself in pictures and says "Look, Claire-Bear". I said the same thing Tonya, it's tough to eat Crow!! ~Cara

Tera said...

I think it's sweet! Growing up, each one of us kids had nicknames from our parents (Travis was Bones b/c like Kaci, he was skin and bones.:) I was Sis or Sissy. Tracee was Peanut (again, little genes like Kaci), and Trista was BooBoo, which quickly was shortened to Boo. While others thought of her as a BooBoo coming 6 years after Tracee, it was actually a 6-year long struggle w/infertility.) My mom also has a tendency to call me Baby Doll and I love it too...Such affection and personal meaning with nicknames.