CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Our Great God

Isaiah 40:12
"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, measured heaven with a span and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure?"

The following excerpt is from Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware:

"Once when our two girls were very young, our family was on vacation along the Oregon coast. At breakfast, I read this passage from Isaiah 40 to my wife and daughters and then asked my two girls if they wanted to do an experiment down at the beach. Bethany was about seven, and Rachel was about three, and they both agreed to come along, excited to see what it was. When we got to the beach, I asked them to stay along the shoreline as I waded out into the Pacific Ocean just a bit. I asked them to watch the ocean carefully, because I was going to stoop down and scoop up water from the ocean, and I wanted them to watch to see how much the level of the ocean dipped as I scooped up water from it. They agreed, and I proceeded to scoop up water with my hands. "Did it change?" I asked them eagerly. A bit disappointed, they said, "No, Daddy, it didn't." I asked them to look very carefully again as I once more leaned over and scooped up a handful of water. "Did it change?" I asked again. "No, Daddy," they again replied.

I walked up onto the shore, knelt down before my girls, and said to them,"Girls, I want you to learn something very important about the difference between how big we are and how big God is. You see, when I went out into this ocean and scooped up all of the water I could hold within the hollow of my two hands, you couldn't tell that anything had changed at all. But look again at the size of this vast ocean. Imagine a hand so big that if this hand came down right now and scooped up all of the water it could hold, the ocean would be dry. That's how big God is!

Other images in Isaiah 40:12 indicate that his hand is so big that is able to measure the full extent of the heavens, and his arm is so strong that he could hold the scales on which the mountain ranges of this world are weighed. Indeed, God is great - so great that nothing could add to his greatness. And the greatness of God - the fact that he possesses within himself everything that is good and wise and perfect - indicates to us just how much we should honor him as God and depend on him for all that we need. We should be humble before this great and mighty God, realizing that while we can give nothing to him that he doesn't already have, he has everything we need. Our hearts should long to praise this God and to live in dependence upon him. Yes, indeed, God deserves nothing less."


While Marilyn, Jill, and her kids were here, we took a little trip out to the coast. (We only live approx. 40 minutes from Plymouth.) The kids loved the ocean water and got soaked even though it was frigid!


a beautiful display of God's creation

Riley always has a smile

Jill and Marilyn

Mia was so excited to finally play in the sand by the ocean .. her mom forgot the buckets and shovels. How is that possible??



working together to build a trench

Brielle loved running around and splashing

Kaci was terrified of the water, she just screamed so we snapped a quick photo before Taj took her to dry land

belly shot .. can't wait to know if she's having a boy or girl!


Tonya

4 comments:

Tera said...

Looks like fun!! I didn't know Jill was expecting! :) I keep forgetting to add her blog to my list.

Brian and Cara said...

Aww,sorry kids mom forgot the bucket and shovel- but she remembered her camera!!! (what kind of priorities are those???- great pictures though :)

Jill said...

Looks like you have a great family!!

Anonymous said...

Your pic. are so good.. Can't wait for you to come back that we can have so much fun together...