CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thoughts on Motherhood

During this Christmas season, while we were having family devotions, we read about Susanna Wesley and her high view of motherhood as she raised 19 children. Here's a short excerpt:

Susanna from the earliest years let her children read their first lessons from the Bible. She mingled the name of Jesus with their ABC's as she drew out their infant minds with discipline and scholarship.

Once while her husband was away, she wrote the following words to him: "I cannot but look upon every soul you leave under my care as a talent committed to me under trust by the great Lord of all the families both of heaven and earth. And if I am unfaithful to Him or you in neglecting to improve these talents, how shall I answer when He shall command me to render an account of my stewardship?"

Her creativity in mothering led her to zealously promote reading and biblical instruction every day along with the simple singing of psalms. Her passion for prayer led her to pray fervently each day for and with the children.

Susanna's desire was to "take more than ordinary care for their souls". We would be wise to do the same!

Tonya


2 comments:

Jill said...

Your blog is supposed to be fun not convicting!

Krista said...

I agree with Jill. That one really punched me in the gut. I must have needed that or it wouldn't have hurt. Thanks!